"Is there a problem?" by Cindy Sheehan in Belfast

From my hotel room in Howth (near Dublin)
The 5th of each month has been designated by the International Committee to free the Cuban 5 as a day where activities are planned to spread the word about the case and to do whatever we can to hasten the end of the anti-terrorists' unjust imprisonment.


As a refresher: the Cuban 5 were sent to Florida by their nation to infiltrate anti-Castro, anti-Revolution, communities of Cuban exiles which had caused the deaths, by acts of terrorism (most notably the downing of a Cubana airliner that killed everyone on board) of over 3,000 Cubans. 


During the course of the mission of the Five, they found information that was felt was crucial to the national security of the USA, and when the information was reported to the FBI, the real terrorists weren't arrested, but the Five were, for "espionage."


After a sham trial in Miami, (a change of venue was clearly warranted, but not granted), the Five wee sentenced to lengthy prison terms. One of them, Rene Gonzalez, was freed last year, but he has an onerous three year probation in Miami.


I have done activism for the Five around the world and on March 5th, I was in Dublin, Ireland having been invited there by the Irish Committee to Free the 5. 


Our March 5th activity was to go to the US Embassy in Dublin and I read a letter to the president of the United States, which I then tried to deliver to be sent to him.


After I read the letter surrounded by Irish Free the 5 activists, I walked up to the window to ask if I could go inside MY embassy and deliver the letter to someone who could send it to the POTUS (I was born during the day, but not yesterday, I knew they wouldn't take it) and I was told that I "didn't have an appointment" by an Irish lad who works at MY embassy.


I then informed him (in case he didn't know), that I was an American and asked him if I could go in if I "had a problem."


He asked me what my "problem" was.


"My country is illegally imprisoning or detaining five Cuban citizens and I want to see that remedied." I still wasn't admitted and told that I had to "post" my letter to Obama.


After our even yesterday, my Irish colleague and I, drove up to Northern Ireland and I have quite a busy day planned and I will post a report of all of that tomorrow.


Cindy Sheehan


Belfast, Ireland


March 6, 2012





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B@ST@RD BILLION@IRES & L@ZY LIBS WITH MICKEY-Z (SOAPBOX PODCAST 4/27/22)

This Blog Will Become Inactive Soon (Message from Cindy)

SheeLilly#2 Cindy and Dakotah Rate the Final Season of the USA (PODCAST 10 JUNE 2022)